What Are The Benefits of Medical Marijuana for Anxiety?
If you would like to get access to medical marijuana to help you manage your anxiety, consult a medical marijuana doctor in Baton Rouge today. People diagnosed with anxiety have found medical marijuana highly beneficial in coping with the condition’s symptoms.
What is Anxiety?
Anxiety refers to a condition where the sufferer reacts strongly to stress. It can become a disorder if the person suffers from extreme nervousness and fear even when not in the presence of danger.
How Does Medical Marijuana Help Anxiety?
Patients suffering from anxiety have opted to use medical marijuana to better manage their condition. Although using MMJ for psychological conditions is still undergoing extensive research, some clinical trials show great promise for medical marijuana’s potential as an alternative anxiety treatment.
Medical marijuana contains chemicals called cannabinoids that interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system to produce feelings of calmness and relaxation.
Studies show that cannabidiol (CBD), a key cannabinoid found in medical marijuana, helps control and reduce the rate at which anxiety occurs.
Using Medical Marijuana for Anxiety
People with anxiety can use medical cannabis in a variety of ways.
Medical marijuana is available in various formulations and forms. Physicians trained in the use of medical cannabis are able to recommend the proper dosage that’s allowed and effective to help in anxiety management.
Traditional Treatments for Anxiety
Traditional approaches for easing the symptoms of anxiety include antidepressants and antianxiety drugs which can have a number of side effects.
The medications are usually prescribed for both short-term and long-term use, depending on the severity of the condition.
The medications are taken cautiously due to their questionable long-term effectiveness and side effects, which include:
- Slowing of mental functioning
People suffering from anxiety disorders usually take the medications while undergoing therapy and utilizing other self-help strategies.
Medical Marijuana as an Alternative Treatment for Anxiety Treatment
Studies have shown that when medical marijuana is used the right way in the proper dosage, it can be beneficial to helping ease anxiety. CBD and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) are the two main active ingredients in medical marijuana and are responsible for its therapeutic effects, and they may counteract the symptoms of anxiety.
What Are the Benefits of Medical Marijuana for Anxiety?
The commonly reported benefits of medical marijuana in helping treat the symptoms of anxiety include:
- Improved relaxation
- Increased sense of calm
- Better sleep
According to Abilities, a community that publishes in-depth stories on disability-focused issues, studies and anecdotal evidence suggest medical marijuana may do the following:
- Prevent memory loss
- Manage a healthy appetite
- Keep mood swings in check
- Help establish favorable sleeping patterns
Can Medical Marijuana Help Alleviate or Treat Symptoms of Anxiety?
According to Sarah Peace, a licensed counselor in Washington, medical marijuana has been reported to be effective in reducing anxiety. Other real-life studies and testimonials that support the use of medical marijuana for panic and anxiety attacks include:
- A 2017 study of more than 9,000 Americans which found that close to half of the 81% of the participants who believed that medical marijuana had health benefits listed anxiety relief as one of those benefits.
- A survey conducted back in 2018 reported that medical marijuana reduces stress and anxiety by 58%. Furthermore, the study revealed that females had a larger reduction in anxiety after using medical marijuana than males.
A licensed counselor says that her clients reported the following benefits after using medical marijuana:
- Greater peace of mind.
- Reduction in unbearable symptoms such as panic disorder, social anxiety, and sleep disruptions related to anxiety.
- A 2015 study published by the NCBI concluded that there’s evidence from human studies that strongly support the potential for CBD, which is a major component in medical marijuana, as a treatment for anxiety.
- Healthline reported that medical marijuana, especially that with high CBD and low THC levels shows possible benefits of temporarily reducing the symptoms of anxiety.
If you have been diagnosed with anxiety, contact a medical marijuana doctor in Baton Rouge today to experience the benefits of using medical marijuana to ease the condition.